Home

Descriptions

Fish (by common or latin name)

Barbs

Cyprinoidae
Catfish Siluroidei
Cichlids Cichlidae
Killifish Cyprinodontidae
Labyrinth fish Anabantoidei
Livebearer Poeciliidae
American Characins Characoidae
African Characins Characoidae

Other Fish

Diseases

Invertebrates

Aquarium Plants

Biotopes

Food

Marine fish

Algae
Products

 
Web aquaworld

General

General

Books

Fish pictures

Image section

Articles

Great Names
My tanks

Site history

Forums

Labyrinth fish

Dwarf cichlids

Links

Links

Labyrinth fish

Linksites

Other

This site

Map

FAQ

Site policies
Acknowledgements
References
Awards
E-mail

 


Breeding tanks, an example
Adding dividers to a tank


My situation

I needed some more space for new fish, and for breeding fish. Since space is one of the things that is hard to find in my house, I decided to remove a large 100*40*40 tank from my setup, and to replace it with an 80*50*30 tank. I modified this tank a bit so I can keep several species in it, separate fry from the adults, and so on.

Pictorial (since I have no idea where all the pics are, I'll try this with plain text instead)

The original tank was a turtle tank and was sometimes used for rearing fish like Corydoras panda but also Betta patoti. I decided to chop the tank up in 4 smaller tanks, with one external filter. After adding the main separators, all cut from acrylic glass, I added some additional separators in the most left one. This would leave the possibility to add a biological filter, separate an incompatible pair of fish, and separate eggs/fry from the parents. If you look closely ther is a space in between exactly big enough to fit a piece of blue Japanese filter mat.

 


Washing

After completion of the tank, it needs 3 times 24 hours rinsing and washing before it's safe to use. Every day a 100% waterchange was conducted.

Creating terrasses

In the back you can see two constuctions to have some amount of gravel for plant growth in the back.

The following items failed hopelessly:

External filtration: holes clogged, and the waterflow of the external filterunit was too fast, leaving a completely filled left tank, and a half empty right side. Clogging and evaporation almost resulted in an empty tank on the right. Another issue: acrylic glass is flexible, and having more water on the left than on the right means it will bend.

Another issue was that the waterflow from the outlet was so powerfull that the left tank was only suitable for fish that can stand very strong currents, like Ancistrus species

Blue filtermat on the left: Somehow the juveniles got through, when washing it, it was impossible to get the fish back in the right place afterwards, and the fish in the back compartment were invisible.

Not everything went wrong: after adding separate small filters for each tank, and a heater in the first, and in te third tank, everything was reasonably ok, and I managed to breed several types of fish in this tank.

A friend of mine is working on a similar project, here is a picture from his tank:


If you have any comments please mail to aquaworld

 

All images, information, text, and other information/items in this site © Aquaworld website as described in the Berne convention.